Emphasis on thanks

Thanksgiving time means going home for the traditional turkey dinner and gathering with family and friends. It’s a time for giving thanks.

Thanksgiving is also a time for feeling good, but after the attacks on Sept. 11, that may have changed for some.Donileen Loseke, a USF sociology professor, said she thinks Americans will celebrate with more heartfelt feelings than before Sept. 11.

“We went through a trauma, and it will draw people together,” Loseke said.

Loseke said the United States has been through a tragedy and for a long time, people thought they were immune to things that happened in other places of the world.

“This causes a revelation,” she said.Loseke said students will be drawn to their families during the holidays. But she said people sometimes expect too much from their families.

“If we expect too much, we may be displeased at the outcome,” she said.

Freshman Trevor Puskar said he doesn’t expect his Thanksgiving to change.

“I kind of forgot about all that stuff (Sept. 11),” Puskar said.Junior Dan Wilhelm said he feels that nothing will change at his family gathering this year, as well.

“Nothing will change for us, but I’m sure that the people who lost loved ones will have a different Thanksgiving,” Wilhelm said.Freshman Dora Cruze said things will definitely be different.

“I just feel like we need to realize what we have, especially during the holidays,” Cruze said.

Although Loseke said people need to turn to families, religion and their communities, they can’t expect that Mom and Dad will make everything OK.

“We can run to them for help, though,” she said.

“And for a few minutes, we can forget about what is going on in the world.”

• Contact Stefanie Greenat oraclestefanie@yahoo.com