Football: Blackwell making history

Bulls quarterback Marquel Blackwell is rapidly rising through the USF record books – the rushing record books, that is. With six rushing touchdowns in the last two weeks, he has eight for the year, placing him third on the USF single-season totals, just one shy of running backs Otis Dixon and Dyral McMillan for first. Blackwell, only a junior, has 14 rushing touchdowns in his career, four shy of tailback Rafael Williams for most rushing TDs in a career at USF.

Share, share that’s fair

Bulls quarterbacks completed 41 passes against SUU, with 11 different receivers catching passes on the night. So far this season, 16 different Bulls have caught at least one pass.

What did he say?

Southern Utah defensive lineman Tonga Muonga registered five tackles, including stopping running back Derrick Rackard for a 4-yard loss in the fourth quarter.

Turnbull Tuliaupupu started at right guard for the Thunderbirds.

On the DL

Rackard was helped off the field in the second half after reinjuring his ankle. Rackard has spent much of his senior year sidelined due to injuries.

“I’m real concerned about Derrick Rackard,” Leavitt said after the game. “I don’t know what to say about Derrick Rackard; he has gone through an entire career of injuries. He works as hard as anyone I’ve ever seen. It’s tough, it’s real difficult for him.”

Also injured against SUU were wide receiver Travis Lipp and defensive back Ron Hemingway. Lipp injured his shoulder and left the game. Prior to the injury, Lipp caught five passes for 37 yards. Hemingway did not return after being injured on a special teams play in the first half. Hemingway suffered a mild sprain and is expected to return to practice on Monday.

• Anthony Gagliano