Schaeffer tops at Beacon Woods

USF golfer Fany Schaeffer tied the course record for women with a 67 at Beacon Woods Saturday. But it was her 69 Sunday that earned the junior a come-from-behind victory at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, Fla.

Schaeffer started Sunday’s round five strokes behind Louisville’s Morgan Hapney, but her three-under par score, including a birdie on the final hole, proved to be enough for a one-stroke victory.

Schaeffer led the Bulls to a second place overall, 12 strokes off the pace of Mississippi in the 54-hole, 12 team tournament.In addition to Schaeffer’s performance, the Bulls placed three other golfers in the top 20. Katie Ruhe fired a three-round 215, good enough for an 11th-place tie. Kelly Martin and Jameica Duncombe tied for 19th place, each shooting a three-day total of 229.

Not so fast

Despite reports circulating that the USF football team would be added to Conference USA a year ahead of schedule in 2002, the league decided Monday at the C-USA Board of Directors meeting in Fort Worth, Texas to not include the Bulls just yet. Commissioner Mike Slive said the topic of expansion was on the table, but no action was taken.

“The Board discussed expansion at length, but decided that it was not ready to proceed at the present time,” Slive said.The next regularly scheduled meeting is set for February, 2002.

Benjamin signs with Bears

Former USF player Ryan Benjamin signed with the Chicago Bears Saturday. Tampa Bay and New England cut the undrafted rookie free-agent long snapper during the summer.

The Bears signed Benjamin after long snappers Patrick Mannelly and Scott Dragos were injured in practice last week. To make room on the roster, the Bears cut quarterback Shane Mathews.

• Brandon Wright

Injury updates

Devin Sanderson is doubtful for Saturday’s game against Southern Utah. The junior punter suffered a concussion during the fourth quarter in the win against UConn. USF coach Jim Leavitt said he is not counting on Sanderson in this week’s game, pending test results from an examination later today. This is alarming considering place kicker Justin Geisler has a groin injury that will hold him out of practice until Thursday.

Sophomore Kenny Robinson is also questionable for Saturday due to an ankle injury. Senior running back Derrick Rackard has recovered from an ankle injury, which sidelined him for two weeks. Freshman receiver Brian Fisher returned to full speed in Monday’s practice. Fisher has spent the last two weeks recovering from a turf toe injury, the same ailment that sidelined junior receiver DeAndrew Rubin.

On a positive note, freshman offensive center Alex Herron returned to practice on Monday. Herron, who sprained his knee, was not expected to be back to the team this early.

• Jarrett Guthrie